BATW BEST 2017
Travel Writing & Photography Awards
Open to BATW Members Only
- Eligibility: Open to all Active BATW members (General, Provisional, and Corporate) whose dues are paid in full.
- Corporate Members: Entries from Corporate members must have appeared in a publication with which that member has no business relationship and on a subject that is not related to and does not mention a business the Corporate member has been paid to market.
- Publication Dates: Articles, books, and images submitted must have been published in print or online between August 15, 2014, and August 15, 2016. (Advertorials and work produced under contract for commercial promotion are not eligible.)
- Deadline for Submissions: Entries must be submitted online by midnight, Pacific Daylight Time, August 15, 2016.
- Entry Fees: $15 per individual entry; $10 per each additional entry. Preferred payment is by credit card, as noted on the registration form.
- Categories: You may submit up to four individual entries in as many categories listed below as you wish (you may submit any or all of the same entries to the Planet Earth Awards). Articles and images published in BATW’s travel books (Clips and Pics or Travel Features and Photos: California’s National Parks) are eligible as contest entries.
Registration: Click here for the online Registration Form
- Travel Book: A guidebook, a collection of travel writings, or a literary travel book; either self-published or commercially published, in print or ebook format. Must be entirely written or substantially updated by the member.
- Magazine Travel Article or Travel Column: Includes articles or essays in anthologies. Minimum length 600 words.
- Newspaper Travel Article or Travel Column: Minimum length 600 words.
- Internet Travel Article, Blog Post, or Essay: Minimum length 600 words, as published on any website or blog.
- Website or Blog: Content on a website or blog must be written entirely by the BATW member (a few guest posts are OK). The blog must be active, with at least two posts a month for a year. The entry will be judged for worthwhile content, visual appeal, readability, and ease of use.
- Travel Photography: Submit a jpg no smaller than 1200×1200 megapixels. Include a link, screenshot, PDF, or photo showing publication online or in print.
- Broadcasting (Radio, TV, Video, or Podcast Episode): No minimum length.
Note: Advertorials, and work produced under contract for advertising or commercial promotion, are not eligible.
Preparation of Entries
- Complete Online Registration Form: Include your name, mailing address, email, and phone number. Note the category or categories in which you are entering, and include the publication name and publication date of each entry, and a link to each entry (be sure the link works!).
- Mailing Books: If your submission is not available as a PDF, follow instructions on the registration form for hard-copy entries. No hard-copy submissions will be returned. Do NOT send by Certified Mail or your entry will be refused. Emailed entries must be dated no later than midnight, August 15, 2016.
- Photography Preparation: Submit a high-res jpg at least 1200×1200 megapixels. Include a link to evidence of publication online or in print.
Note: Submissions must be accompanied by the required entry fee and must be dated by the deadline.
To see a list of judges for BATW Best 2017, click here.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners in each category will be announced at the awards ceremony in February 2017. Winners will receive prizes and award certificates. News releases will be sent to Bay Area and national media and will be posted on the BATW website.