The 2018-19 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition is open for entries. The deadline is April 1, 2019.
The contest invites entries from all types of media, including work produced for reading/viewing on electronic devices. All entries must be made through the BetterBNC Media Awards Platform. Electronic entries are required in most categories.
2019 contest at a glance:
- We’ve added Category 124: Multimedia Single Work for storytelling that includes text, images, audio and video but is not a special package.
- We welcome podcasts, which can be entered in the Audio category, as part of a Grand Award entry and included among submissions for Category 102 Newspaper Travel Coverage, Categories 103a and 103b Magazines, Category 107 Special Packages/Projects and Category 124 Multimedia Single Work.
- For the Audio and Video categories, entries usually are a single work but now we’re also allowing a submission to be a short series if it’s a continuing story.
- Newcomers must create an account and request to enter our contest (it’s simple, fast).
- If you’re an independent journalist, use the Open Call Login. Do not use Contestant.
- If you’re a media organization and/or entering for multiple journalists, use the Contestant Login.
- For the few categories allowing/requiring mail-in entries and if you’re mailing a check, be sure to use the 2019 address. Note: Don’t wait until the last minute to mail. Sorry, but there’s really not overnight service to our address, despite what a shipper says.
- Judges will be faculty at the Missouri School of Journalism with Emeritus Prof. John Fennell, Prof. Jennifer Rowe and administrative assistant Kim Townlain coordinating.
for a quick look at our 2018-19 contest at the BetterBNC website, to sign in or register if you are new to the contest, and to do your entries.
to go to the SATW Foundation website for detailed information and instructions for entering this year’s competition.
While you will find information at the BetterBNC website to assist when preparing entries, it is wise to read through the information at SATWF.com
first, check the Rules & Eligibility and see the complete list of categories. Our Detailed Instructions sheet has an index so you can click to the sections that you need. We suggest you print the data that applies to you and have it handy when working on the BetterBNC site.
We’re here to help with questions and will answer as quickly as possible. You also can check FAQs at our website. Contact the Foundation administrator, Mary Lu Abbott, MaryLuA@satwf.com
Good luck with your entries.
David G. Molyneaux, SATW Foundation president
Mary Lu Abbott, SATW Foundation administrator