Submit your candidate statement by Nov. 15
Do you want to serve on the BATW Board? Your BATW Board makes policy decisions, keeps records of actions and finances, supports meetings and members, and represents the BATW.
Each year, approximately half of the seats on the Board are up for election, which takes place by electronic ballot in December. This year, we have five open seats for two-year terms. Interested? Talk to an existing Board member about what’s involved (see list below).
Here’s the process for nomination and the deadlines.
- All those who have met the criteria for publishing are eligible. See… https://batw.org/joining-as-a-general-or-provisional-member/
- November 15th is the deadline for submitting a candidate’s statement and photo. Unlike the photos for the profile page and press passes, this photo does not have to be a headshot. The statement should be about 100-200 words, listing reasons for running, specific interests, experience, and qualifications. Submit statements to Marc Longwood, BATW Executive Director at email@example.com
Here’s an example of a statement from 2018 elections:
BATW has been a vibrant part of my life for more than ten years with vicarious enjoyment mostly from the sidelines. Now seems to be the time for a little service to pay for all the wonderful programs I have enjoyed over the years. I firmly believe there has never been a greater need for professional travel writing. Challenges for the Board in 2018 will be: 1) growing the membership; 2) encouraging more members to contribute; and 3) serving the membership with programs, enhanced social media connections and online and print publications.
- December 1- 15. Online voting for two weeks.Members may vote for up to five candidates for 2019 Board. Candidates are elected beginning with the candidate who receives the most votes, and continues until remaining open Board seats are filled.
- Voting ends December 15th. New BOD announced by December 18.
- The new Board is introduced at the January membership meeting. Officers are elected and committees assigned at a January Board Retreat.
Members of the 2018 BOD
Judith Horstman, President; MJ Pramik, Vice President; John Williamson, Treasurer; Johns Sundsmo. Secretary; Molly Blaisdell, Corporate Liaison; Ruth Carlson; Lee Daley; Stephanie Levine; Carole T. Meyers; Tom Wilmer; Shayna Yasuhara. Their contact information is in the Directory.