BATW OCTOBER MEETING – SATURDAY, OCT. 17, 2015 in San Jose
Where: California Theatre – 345 S. 1st St, San Jose, CA 95113
Spend the day in San Jose, as Team San Jose hosts BATW for an engaging event focusing on California’s third-largest city. We’ll learn about major upcoming events (Super Bowl 50 and the 125th anniversary of Japantown San Jose), as well as the city’s fascinating history.
You may invite one guest.
- 10-11 a.m.: BATW meet ‘n greet and business meeting at the California Theater
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Presentation from Team San Jose at the California Theater
- Noon-1 p.m.: Lunch at the California Theater
- 1:15-2:45 p.m. San Jose Walking Tour: History, Now and Then
Convention Center Garage (on Market Street side); validation will be provided. The entrance to the Convention Center parking garage is located on the intersection of South Market and West San Salvador Streets. Please park on the Market Street side; signage will lead you to the California Theatre (which is just across the street).
Team San Jose will update us on the latest developments out of the Capital of Silicon Valley, as Japantown San Jose celebrates a 125-year anniversary and Super Bowl 50 makes its way to the South Bay.
Downtown Walking Tour (1:15 – 2:45 p.m.), optional
Following lunch, join a walking history tour of downtown San Jose and learn more about California’s first state capital. It is hard for many of our guests to imagine San Jose as a sleepy Spanish pueblo. How did a few mud brick homes evolve into this global center of technology? Follow us on our Adobe-to-Adobe tour and learn about our Spanish and Mexican roots, which set the foundation for an agricultural empire. Along the way hear about bear vs. bull fights, a hidden road to El Dorado, and the shocking murder of the heir to San Jose’s “Hart.” We end the tour on a high note as we investigate how California’s first capital became the self-proclaimed Capital of Silicon Valley!
RSVP to your EventBrite invitation by October 1st. Remember to bring your smartphone or a printout of your confirmation. RSVP Cancellation fee policy is in effect. Please note that the walking tour is free and optional, but we do need a count for planning purposes. When you RSVP and register online, you will be asked to indicate whether you (and a guest, if you are bringing one) will be attending the walking tour.
Overnight FAM Option:
Team San Jose is also offering overnight visits to credentialed journalists who can confirm a story.
- This option is capped at 7 members.
- To apply, Contact Kyle Schatzel at Team San Jose directly by October 1st (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to let him know where you will be publishing.
During the FAM, plan to taste your way through San Jose with a diverse range of cuisines, sip wines from the local Santa Cruz Mountain Wine Appellation, and enjoy a dynamic mix of performing and visual arts. Itineraries can be tailored to accommodate story needs.
Saturday 10/17 FAM
- 3 p.m.: Overnight guests: check-in to the Fairmont hotel
- 3:45 p.m.: Option to visit: The Tech Museum of Innovation or San Jose Museum of Art
- 5 p.m.: Down time
- 6 p.m.: Depart to dinner at Original Joe’s
- 8 p.m.: See Silicon Valley Ballet’s performance of Giselle at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
Sunday 10/18 FAM
- 7:30 a.m. – 9a.m.: Breakfast at hotel
- 9:30 a.m.: Pedicab to Japantown San Jose for exploration and visit Japanese American Museum of San Jose
- 11:45 a.m.: Pedicab to San Pedro Square Market for lunch
- 1:15 p.m.: Shuttle to History Park/ Exhibition: Printing in Santa Clara Valley
- 3 p.m.: Shuttle back downtown/Depart