BATW – JANUARY MEETING
Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013
10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (Lunch following meeting provided by El Rancho)
Best Western El Rancho Inn & Suites, Millbrae
“Radio Rocks” – Presented by Tom Wilmer and Jules Older
Join BATW in January for a fun, informative presentation by Tom Wilmer and Jules Older. El Rancho is graciously providing lunch. Here’s the meeting plan:
Tom will present an overview about producing travel segments for on-air radio and web podcasts, including:
1. Scripting and delivery of voice-over intros, transitions and segues.
2. Creating multi-track recordings that include capturing on-location sounds for use as under-bed and sound bites.
3. Interviewing styles, including the NPR “Storytelling” model, and more.
Additional focus will present ways to turn the table on harnessing the energy and synergy of social media such as Facebook, blogs and tweets to propel listenership and followership of your podcast productions.
Jules’ presentation focuses on just three things:
1. We are living through the tectonic shift from the Gutenberg Era to the Digital Age; we ignore it at our peril.
2. But that doesn’t mean we must put all our eggs in the digital basket. Often, there’s success to be had using the old media to discuss the new.
3. Radio pretty much defines old media. I love radio. And I’m enjoying the privilege of using it to talk about untalk: Twitter, Facebook, HP, Apple, cybercrime. MOOCs, Webtroverts, et al.
“That’s pretty much it,” Jules says “I intend to talk short, answer long, and if there’s time, see if the assembled can answer the Numbers Game and Word Game Quizzes I ask listeners.”
Location: Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn & Suites 1100 El Camino Real, Millbrae, California 94030 650-588-8500; http://www.elranchoinn.com
To RSVP, go to BATW’s Member Login page. Meeting/lunch limited to 40 attendees, so be sure to make your reservation as soon as possible (deadline Jan. 17). For questions or cancellations, contact Erin Caslavka (firstname.lastname@example.org).